Thursday 8 October 2009

Money, money, money....

You want to know what the most difficult thing about the paleo lifestyle is? It's blimmin' expensive. I've got an internet shop arriving tonight and, for a week's food for a family of four, the cost is going to be about £130. That's A LOT. When I was in my early 20s I was a vegan for a bit, and I could buy a week's food for £20!

What's driving the cost up? Well, to start with, loadsa meat. I only buy free range chicken, so that's expensive. Tuna steaks for four? £7. Ribeye steaks for four? £7.50. Big hunks of meat every evening - no cheapy pasta or jacket potatoes. Then breakfasts - lots more eggs than the normal family, free range of course, about £8. Smoked fish of various descriptions - not particularly expensive, but a heck of a lot dearer than a bowl of cereal.

And finally - I'm not giving the kids any puddings other than fruit, so I want them to have a nice selection. Another £15.

Haven't yet worked out how to get the cost down - at the moment I'm just concentrating on getting used to it. Good job we always go youth hostelling for our hols - the Bahamas are definitely going to be out for a while.

Postscript: The shopping just arrived and it was actually £147 - eek! Having said that, I made a mistake with quantities of beer and have ended up with 60 bottles. I do like the odd beer, but that's ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment